ABOUT MOUNTAIN TAXI
Mountain Taxi was established more than 16 years ago as one of the country’s first adventure tour companies. Being the Iceland travel and adventure experts, Mountain Taxi creates individual, small group and incentive trips for travelers. Our commitment to service and years of professional guiding experience is what makes Mountain Taxi the leader in Icelandic adventure tours and expeditions.
A country of extremes, much of the interior of Iceland is inaccessible by anything other than specially outfitted jeeps. The terrain is rugged and difficult to access, and the best jeep guides temper their desire to tame the Highlands with a strict code of conduct based on a strong respect and need to protect the land.
MOUNTAIN TAXI AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Environmental impact – how does Mountain Taxi addresses the issue.
1. All our superjeeps run on DIESEL fuel, not regular pertol = less pollution
2. Offroad driving in Iceland is forbidden by law. You are only allowed to drive off road in the winther ON SNOW and frosen ground. So in fact the superjeep is not touching the ground at all = causing NO damage to the environment.
4. The only way to get into the Icelandic highlands in the summer is by a 4×4 viechle
5. The only way to get into the Icelandic highlands in the winther is by a specially modified superjeeps that can drive on top of the snow = NO damage to the fragile ground vegitation.
6. Our Superjeeps are only used for our tours. On days that we don´t have tours they are not being used and therefore not producing any pollution. So in fact they are almost only used for long distance driving on low RPM.
7. Our minimum number of passengers on tours is 4. Each viechle takes up to 7 passengers. We feel that it is difficult to justify driving big cars like ours with less people. It makes more sence for 3 couples to do a trip in one Mountain Taxi superjeep rather than 3 smaller rental cars.
8. We take good care of our viechles and make shure they are always in first class condition. By doing so we don´t need to change them out for new ones on regular basis. This reduces the pollution caused by importing new viechles.
9. We promote local production in the areas we visit on our tours. This involves bying local food, using Icelandic clothes and other products made in Iceland as much as we can and thereby reducing the need for inported products. This also adds to the sustainability of Iceland and individual farmers in more remote areas in Iceland.
10. For those who want Mountain Taxi can offer smaller viechles, rental cars, for the tours.
THE MOUNTAIN TAXI TEAM
Mountain Taxis’ guides are a team of multi-lingual and talented outdoor enthusiasts. Passionate about Iceland’s history, geology and people, they are superb hosts with uncompromising standards. Navigating the many rivers of the Highlands as well as other rough terrain and glaciers takes skill and patience, and each of Mountain Taxi’s guides have many years of off-road driving experience.
Explore our Iceland expeditions and day trips, or contact us about building your own custom Iceland travel experience.